Posted on April 3, 2017 by Shelley Raymond
Essex County Greenbelt
Land Stewardship Assistant
Since 1961, Essex County Greenbelt (Greenbelt) has been working with local landowners to conserve farmland, wildlife habitat and scenic landscapes throughout Essex County, Massachusetts. Greenbelt has protected over 17,000 acres of land to date and is recognized as the most active land conservation organization in the region.
Greenbelt accomplishes its mission of land conservation through the establishment of publicly accessible reservations, the acquisition of conservation restrictions (easements) and by providing assistance to partner organizations, local and state governments, and private landowners. Greenbelt owns more than 375 parcels of land, totaling about 6000 acres, and holds conservation restrictions on over 200 properties, totaling over 730 acres.
Greenbelt seeks a full-time (40 hours per week) Land Stewardship Assistant to support all aspects of the land stewardship department across Essex County, MA. This position will report to Greenbelt’s director of land stewardship and work closely with the assistant director of land stewardship to accomplish the following:
- Maintain Greenbelt owned properties, including trail work, boundary marking, signage, grass and field mowing, clean-up, snow plowing, community garden management and other work as directed;
- Coordinate land management planning and other special projects, like habitat restoration and forestry;
- Assist with a variety of conservation biology initiatives focused on wildlife species like Osprey and Piping Plovers;
- Assist with all aspects of Greenbelt’s conservation restriction program, including monitoring, report writing and general administration;
- Work with and help maintain Greenbelt’s land conservation and stewardship database;
- Manage and coordinate a wide range of volunteer and citizen scientist activities;
- Assist with special event planning, set-up and management, occasionally on week nights and weekends;
- Represent Greenbelt at meetings, forums and conferences, occasionally on week nights and weekends;
- Perform other tasks as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree with a natural resource focus or a related field;
- Practical experience related to the job description;
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks, sometimes in challenging conditions of terrain and weather;
- Experience operating or willingness to learn to operate power equipment like chainsaw, brush saw, walk-behind mowers, farm tractor as well as other power hand tools like saws and drills.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and have the ability or willingness to learn to plow snow and tow a trailer;
- Strong technical skills, including working with databases and GIS;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work as part of a team with common goals.
Competitive. Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits available.
This position is located at Greenbelt’s headquarters at the Cox Reservation in Essex, MA. Greenbelt is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a resume and cover letter electronically (PDF preferred) to: email@example.com with subject line: Land Stewardship Assistant Position - or by mail to: Director of Land Stewardship, 82 Eastern Avenue, Essex, MA 01929. Application period closed April 30, 2017.